Skip to main content

A Question of Inquiry - 11.17.21

This week, I was happy to chat with a school librarian I worked with years ago and it was marvelous catching up with her.  In fact, I called her when I was pondering my decision to attempt my MLIS degree. Elizabeth is a middle school librarian with 20 years’ experience, so she has seen many teachers, many styles, and many standards in her day.  She is a strong advocate for students’ rights to read, both for pleasure and for information.

  When I asked her about the Inquire Shared Foundation, her first thought was for what students can do to find their next book.  She pointed out the first indicator in the Think Domain:  Encouraging learners to formulate questions about a personal interest or a curricular topic (AASL, 2018).  She actively seeks tools to share with her students that help them accomplish this.  Recently, she led a lesson for a sixth-grade ELA class.  The students used SCDiscus to find the NoveList database.  She asked the students to think of the last good book they had read.  Guiding them to select “title” in the search bar before entering the title was key to their success!  When they found their books, she directed them to the pane along the right that listed read-alike books.  While some of her students exclusively read fiction, she has a substantial number that prefer nonfiction.  She was able to help one student select “keyword” instead of “title” as a search parameter and locate books on World War II.  Once students had at least two titles that interested them, Elizabeth modeled how to open Destiny and search the school catalog.  The lesson was an hour long and she used every minute!  SCDiscus is a powerful tool, and it is a resource she considers essential to her practice. In her opinion, it is imperative to give students the tools they will need to independently seek information… a key element in the Inquire Foundation. 

While Elizabeth had success with her NoveList lesson, she finds it a challenge to adequately serve her students in the limited time they have.  She meets with sixth-grade students for one hour twice a month.  The seventh-grade teachers only stay for 30 minutes on the same twice-monthly schedule.  Sadly, eighth-grade classes rarely sign up for the library.  That makes in-depth research a challenge and hampers the intent behind the key commitment of the Inquire Foundation:  Build new knowledge by inquiring, thinking critically, identifying problems, and developing strategies for solving problems (AASL, 2018).  Some teachers ask Elizabeth to collect books on a topic (weather, mythology) for delivery to their classrooms.  She does not get to work with the students on those topics.  Is it enough to hope those children do some critical thinking and develop problem-solving strategies?  Elizabeth thinks not.


American Library Association. (2018). National School Library Standards for learners, school librarians, and School Libraries.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Open… C’mon in!

  A seemingly simple invitation that could spell pain.  Imagine yourself with arthritis in your hands.  All doorknobs might look like this.   Happily,  that is NOT the only way to enter a room.  Look at this simple fix. Now the door welcomes all visitors with a pain-free invitation!      This is an example of a concept called Universal Design.  First applied primarily to architectural decisions, it refers  “to the idea of designing spaces, products, services, and more in a way that makes them as functional as possible for people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds” (Spina, 2017). Since Ronald L. Mace proposed the idea of Universal Design in the 1990s, there is an emphasis placed not on fixing the world for the disabled, but instead on improving usability across the board, for every human.  And we use the word “human” purposely, as does Don Norman, the author of The Design of Everyday Things, in this video about the b...

A Curation Persuasion - 11.15.21

Many school librarians are currently waiting for the other shoe to drop.  They are waiting to see if someone in their community is going to approach the podium at the school board meeting and blast them for having a copy of Angie Thomas’ The Hate U Give or George Johnson’s All Boys Aren’t Blue.   These books do exist in our town’s school libraries. I interviewed a fellow high school librarian in November to find out how she curates her collection in this current climate.  The American Association of School Librarians has outlined best practices for curation in the National School Library Standards.  The key commitment is for librarians to “make meaning for oneself and others by collecting, organizing, and sharing resources of personal relevance” (AASL, 2018).  Bobbie has been a school librarian for ten years, and an English teacher for 12 years before that.  She has always been deliberate in her purchases.  She uses Follet Titlewave to select the books...

It slipped my mind

There are so many things in the bin for the thoughts that have slipped my mind.  Other thoughts stay with me forever.  Back when I was a new, green teacher of middle school life science, I was just learning the difference between monocot plants and dicot plants.  I was terrified I would mix them up and that their different characteristics would slip my mind.  (Since I know you are wondering...) (image courtesy of The Amoeba Sisters.  https://www.amoebasisters.com/parameciumparlorcomics/monocots-vs-dicots ) I studied pictures. I looked for examples of each in the wild.  I figured out the benefits of each type of root in different types of soil. Using all that knowledge, I was able to plan lessons, activities, and labs for my students.  That final step was when I really internalized the difference between the two.  I had created something new to show my understanding.  Well, well… look where I ended up. In the best possible world, teachers wan...