Skip to main content

Play it again, Sam!

Easy for Bogart to say!  But when you are an English Language Learner, phrases like this can be challenging.  Finding the right words for the immediate situation is truly a struggle.  However, when we practice anything, the process becomes less stressful and more successful.  The same is true for our immigrant families.


How can we, as educators, teachers, and librarians personalize this practice for our at-risk students?

            As librarians, we are a fully cooperating partner on the student’s instructional team.  Mackin Education Resources sponsored a Future Ready Librarian webinar in 2016 that outlined key aspects of personalized learning and centered on how librarians can use their expertise in this endeavor.  One tenet specific to our ELL students is the directive to “target instruction to support learners while continuing to challenge each learner” (edWeb.net, 2016).  Here you see a graphic showing how teacher librarians address specific targets in instruction. 

I hope you will direct your attention to the curriculum, instruction and assessment wedge (teal blue).  The outer bands there (and on every wedge) illustrate how teacher librarians can support and exemplify the core parts of personalized learning.  Specifically, they should be able to “empower students as creators” and “curate digital resources and tools.”  I went looking for resources that could do just that for our ELL students.

            Which is why I feel I struck gold when I visited Larry Ferlazzo’s blog entitled Websites of the Day.  His blog is an excellent starting place for finding resources to use with our ELL students.  When you visit his site for the first time, take a moment to click on the helpful link at the top. 

It was here that I found the link to “A Collection of my Best Resources on Teaching English Language Learners” and what a winner link that turned out to be. 

            I have picked one resource to demonstrate for you.  Enjoy!


Resources:

Alliance for Excellent Education.  (n.d.). Future Ready Librarians. https://futureready.org/thenetwork/strands/future-ready-librarians/

edWeb.net. (2016, October 19). Future Ready Librarians [Video]. https://home.edweb.net/webinar/future-ready-librarians/

 Ferlazzo, L. (2017, December 1). A collection of my best resources on teaching English language learners. Edublogs.org. https://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2017/12/01/a-collection-of-my-best-resources-on-teaching-english-language-learners/

Comments

  1. Anna,
    As usual, your blog has given me a great idea! While I love this 2.0 tool for English Language Learners, I have a background in early childhood education. My thought is that students could use a photograph and add in speech bubbles to make a one image story or as a jumping off inspiration point for them to begin the writing process. Early elementary ELL learners could use a photograph of themselves to tell one word pieces of information like their favorite color, food, or age to introduce themselves. This could even be a partner activity where they create a story together.
    I love that this allows learners at any level to create. Students are generally more excited about projects that are fun and allow them to make something and it is in line with "empowers students as creators" from the Future Ready Librarians infographic.
    Melissa Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna,

    This is a clever idea for ELL students. I love that it is user friendly and fun. We are just beginning to produce our student run news show and I think they kids wil love using this in our PowerPoint slides for broadcast. Thanks for sharing!

    Suzanne Spearman

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Open… C’mon in!

  A seemingly simple invitation that could spell pain.  Imagine yourself with arthritis in your hands.  All doorknobs might look like this.   Happily,  that is NOT the only way to enter a room.  Look at this simple fix. Now the door welcomes all visitors with a pain-free invitation!      This is an example of a concept called Universal Design.  First applied primarily to architectural decisions, it refers  “to the idea of designing spaces, products, services, and more in a way that makes them as functional as possible for people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds” (Spina, 2017). Since Ronald L. Mace proposed the idea of Universal Design in the 1990s, there is an emphasis placed not on fixing the world for the disabled, but instead on improving usability across the board, for every human.  And we use the word “human” purposely, as does Don Norman, the author of The Design of Everyday Things, in this video about the b...

A Curation Persuasion - 11.15.21

Many school librarians are currently waiting for the other shoe to drop.  They are waiting to see if someone in their community is going to approach the podium at the school board meeting and blast them for having a copy of Angie Thomas’ The Hate U Give or George Johnson’s All Boys Aren’t Blue.   These books do exist in our town’s school libraries. I interviewed a fellow high school librarian in November to find out how she curates her collection in this current climate.  The American Association of School Librarians has outlined best practices for curation in the National School Library Standards.  The key commitment is for librarians to “make meaning for oneself and others by collecting, organizing, and sharing resources of personal relevance” (AASL, 2018).  Bobbie has been a school librarian for ten years, and an English teacher for 12 years before that.  She has always been deliberate in her purchases.  She uses Follet Titlewave to select the books...

It slipped my mind

There are so many things in the bin for the thoughts that have slipped my mind.  Other thoughts stay with me forever.  Back when I was a new, green teacher of middle school life science, I was just learning the difference between monocot plants and dicot plants.  I was terrified I would mix them up and that their different characteristics would slip my mind.  (Since I know you are wondering...) (image courtesy of The Amoeba Sisters.  https://www.amoebasisters.com/parameciumparlorcomics/monocots-vs-dicots ) I studied pictures. I looked for examples of each in the wild.  I figured out the benefits of each type of root in different types of soil. Using all that knowledge, I was able to plan lessons, activities, and labs for my students.  That final step was when I really internalized the difference between the two.  I had created something new to show my understanding.  Well, well… look where I ended up. In the best possible world, teachers wan...